DIY Audio & Video
Tutorials, FAQs, Calculators and Examples
for Speaker Boxes, Crossovers, Filters,
Wiring, Home Automation, Security & more.
Speaker Building and Testing Tutorials
- Speaker Box Building Tutorial - Steps to building a speaker box from scratch.
- Speaker Crossover Tutorial - All the steps of designing and building a crossover.
- Speaker Testing - Use a computer and a microphone to test your speaker response curve.
- Build Your Own Microphone for Testing Speakers - Build an inexpensive high quality microphone for driver or listening position tests.
Guides / Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Speaker & Amplifier Wiring - Anything to do with wiring speakers & amps.
- Home Theater Setup - What separates home theater from the rest.
- Basic DIY Speaker - Things to consider before doing anything.
- Speaker Box Construction - What is involved in the box construction.
- Using MDF - Everything you need to know about building boxes with MDF.
- Speaker Crossovers - Some rules for building and wiring crossovers.
- Sound Terms - Basic information on common terms and sound properties.
Crossover Circuit & Speaker Box Design
- Speaker Box Enclosure Designer (Help) - determine best box volumes and port sizes for your drivers.
- Speaker Box Volume Calculator (Help) - calculate box volume from box dimensions or dimensions from a volume.
- Sealed or Ported Calculator (Help) - what type of enclosure works best for your driver.
- Speaker Driver Displacement Calculator (Help) - determine how much room your driver takes up in the speaker box.
- 2-Way Crossover Designer (Help) - design many types of crossovers from 1st to 6th order.
- 3-Way APC Crossover Designer (Help) - design a 3 way APC crossover 1st to 4th order.
- Series Notch Filter (Help) - design a LCR filter to remove that response spike.
- Parallel Notch Filter (Help) - design a parallel trap filter to remove broader peaks.
- Driver Attenuation Circuit (LPad) (Help) - design a L-Pad to decrease driver sensitivity.
- Impedance Equalization Circuit (Help) - design a Impedance Equalization Circuit to match driver resistance.
- Contour Network (Help) - design a Contour Network to correct drivers with a rising response curve.
- Air Core Inductor Designer (Help) - wind your own air core inductor with low gauge wire for a low resistance crossover network.
Television & Entertainment System Technology, Setup & Wiring
- TV Technologies - Information about the different types of televisions.
- 3D in the Theater - How 3D in the theater works, and how it is different than home.
- 3D at Home - What you need to know about 3D Television.
- Home Theater PC - Options for making your own Media Center PC, DVR, or Streaming Devices.
- Types of Wires - Shows the different wires you might use in your Entertainment Center.
- Home Theater Setup - Speaker placement, entertainment centers, and audio distribution.
- Sample Component Connections - Another perspective on system wiring.
- Wire Conversions - How to convert the wire you have into the wire you need.
- Entertainment System Component Wiring - Some sample wiring diagrams for your system with wiring and viewing instructions..
- Design Your System - Entertainment System Wiring Tool. Build a wiring diagram and save it or send to a friend.
Home Wiring - Future Wiring/Structured Wiring from Structured Home Wiring .com
- Structured Wiring Overview - How to future wire your home.
- Structured Wiring Plan - Creating a wiring plan for your home.
- Sample Projects - Some sample projects that should help you with your plan.
- Wiring Project Parts Guide - What parts and tools you will need to do the wiring.
- How to Wire Your Home - What you need to run the wires correctly and safely.
- Wiring an Existing Home - How to run wires through walls after your home is built.
- Terminating Wall Plates - How to terminate the wires at your outlets or speakers.
- The Wiring Panel - The central location that all wires should run to.
Burglar Alarm / Security System Installation from Structured Home Wiring .com
- Alarm Components - What are the different components that make up a Security System, from sensors to keypads to the main panel..
- Alarm Planning - Some options with examples on choosing how to make use of the available "zones" in your alarm panel.
- Tamper Proof Wiring - Understanding the different methods that can be used to bypass an alarm will help you understand some of the wiring conventions used in alarm systems.
- Alarm Wiring - How to wire the different types of powered and non-powered using Normally Open / Normally Closed circuits with and without End of Line Resistors.
- Sample DSC Alarm - Pictures and Wiring Plans for every necessary component to wire a DSC Power 864 Security System.
- Programming the Alarm - How to setup the zones, activation codes, and other considerations after your alarm system is wired and ready.
- Basic Electronics - Wiring electrical components in parallel and series.
- Resistors, Capacitors, & Inductors - The various types and what you need to know about them.
- Resistor Color Codes & Other Component Identification - What all those colored stripes mean.
The information on this site is provided free of charge. All information provided on this web site is provided 'AS IS'. No guarantee is provided for the accuracy of the information or the application of the information provided herein. I accept no responsibility or liability with regards to the accuracy or currency of the information provided. By using, reading or accessing this web site, you agree to be the user of the information provided. The user accepts full responsibility for all information provided. Although I try to keep the information on this site as accurate as possible, there is no guarantee that my reference materials or the material on this site is correct. This information is provided for reference purposes only! The technical information listed here are for general applications only. When in doubt, always seek the help of a professional!